Toolmaker/Machinist - Day Shift
Division: Premier Source - Brookings, SD
1313 Western Avenue, Brookings
Summary of Job Responsibilities: Sets up and operates conventional, special purpose, and numerical control CNC machines and machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
1. Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements. Plans sequence of operations, visualizing shape of mold in reverse of product.
2. Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
3. Indentifies machining specifications to set up and operate machines such as numerical EDM, CNC mill, lathe, manual mills, surface grinders, band saws, etc. Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, grinders, and EDMs.
4. Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
5. Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
6. Completes preventative maintenance on molds and components as needed.
7. Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
8. Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
9. Fits and assembles parts into complete mold assembly.
10. Verifies dimensions and alignment of assembly.
11. Grinds, files, and sands parts to fit parts for assembly and to polish smooth and finish cavity.
12. Installs machined replacement parts in mechanisms, machines, molds and equipment, and tests operation of unit to ensure functionality and performance.
13. Operates metal welding equipment to rebuild or fabricate parts.
14. Develops specifications from general description and draws sketch of part or product to be fabricated.
15. Confers with production personnel, supervisor, or other toolmakers to resolve machining or assembly problems.
16. Performs all toolmaker tasks with lowest cost and scrap as well as highest efficiency and accuracy.
17. Works cooperatively with Production and Maintenance personnel in troubleshooting manufacturing problems.
18. Investigates issues at the press and works with team approach to develop tooling plans.
19. Participates in ordering supplies and other materials.
20. Develop and adhere to project time lines and give periodic reports.
Education and/or Experience: One or two year Certificate from college or technical school and 1 - 2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.